Sign up for a Free 30 Day Trial of G Suite Business and get Free Admin support from Google Certified Deployment Specialists.
Tablets in schools are revolutionizing the teaching and learning, and thanks to the massive cross compatibility of the Google Android OS, none so much as the Android tablet. If you are considering deploying an Android based system in your school, then there are seven basic steps you need to take before you can make that happen.
Before you get started setting up tablets for school, make sure you have a stable internet connection as there are several steps that will require downloading, logging in or updating over the internet. Disable any mobile data connection on the units while you work too. The process can become costly if your tablet accidentally switches connection.
- Verify that your school meets the minimum IT requirements. There are hardware, software and connectivity requirements that must be met in order to deploy Android tablets correctly.
- Download, run and enable the Google Play for Education App on the administrator tablet.
- Sign into the Admin Tools interface on the administrator tablet, and enable API access. This allows greater flexibility and more complex connectivity between your administrator tablet and the Educator platform.
- Sign into the Admin Tools interface again, and set the Administrator Restriction Pin on the device. Enable remote management of the administrator restriction pin. This allows syncing between the administrator tablet and the student units.
- Once the initial setup is completed, sign into the administrator tablet again, set the language on the device, and follow the prompts to sign into the account that has Google Apps super user access. This tablet will act as the master unit, and all other tablets will function as slaves, getting their information from the admin unit.
- Open the Play Store on the administrator tablet, search for Google Play Store, install and enable it. Make sure that you accept the permissions prompts when you reach that screen too.
- Only once the teacher's administrator tablet is set up do you start up the student devices, and begin setting them up. Start by opening the enrollment app, and choosing one student per device. Select "I do not have student account information ready." Ensure the WiFi is set up and enabled, and follow prompts until the device says "ready to bump." Bumping uses NFC (Near Field Connection) to transfer data. Hold the administrator tablet near the student tablet, and transfer information. Transfer is finished when the home screen appears. Test by sending an app from the administrator unit to the student unit.
Setting up an Android tablet based system is relatively easy, and as long as you have the basics right and follow the prompts, you should be able to set up and enable tablets for school without too much trouble. Make sure your connection is stable and activated for the downloading and initializing process, and remember that each student tablet requires it's own account and login information.
Once setup is complete, there are several things you can do with tablets for school. Configure advanced options, send free content to your network of student tablets, send apps and more. You can even hire a developer to create your own custom app if you choose to. Welcome to the revolution that is tablets for school.